Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Reading Project: Classic Adventure/Horror

So, my self-assigned summer reading project for 2012 was to make it through a list of some of the great classic adventure/horror novels. You know the ones I'm talking about.

Pretty much every book ever featured on Wishbone.

Dracula
Dr.Jekyll/Mr.Hyde
Frankenstein
The Legend of Sleepy Hollow
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
Treasure Island

You got the picture, right?

I finished Dracula and Jekyll/Hyde a couple weeks ago. One thing I'm discovering about these books is that the huge, dramatic scenes and story arcs that I've always heard of represent about (.) <-- this much of the entire book.

Also, people lie about these books. I mean, Dracula never even said "I vant to suck your blood!" Disclaimer: this is a joke. I absolutely loved Dracula. Seriously. You have to read it.

Now, I just finished 20,000 Leagues last night. What's the one thing that everyone remembers about this book? Giant squid, right? Or, if you want to get technical, architeuthis. Oooo. This guy:

I read through the whole novel, waiting like a girl at a Bieber concert for the arrival of the giant squid.

SPOILER ALERT:

The giant squid is featured for about 2.3 pages. One guy dies. And, the word "squid" isn't even mentioned in the entire book. No, no, no. The main character refers to them as "cuttlefish."

Cuttlefish. CUDDLE FISH?

::throws hands up and goes to find something really scary. Like pictures of Mitt Romney in the morning::

No comments: